Day 014: B.iCycle | 09/20/2010

Hopefully fellow B.iCycle users will find this useful.

For readers that don't know what I am talking about Click Here:


When Apple released iOS4 with multitasking it meant that I could switch away from my cyclometer app (B.iCycle) and do other things on my iPhone (like switching Pandora stations) while riding.
However.  Due to the way the multitasking works on the iPhone, if you are running an app that uses location services (the GPS) once it it turned on, it stays on.  This causes a pretty significant battery drain, if you don't need the GPS to stay on.  For a while I solved this by going into the settings and manually turning location services off. But what a pain.  

Then I discovered that when you double click the home button (the easy way to quickly switch between apps) you can then hold down on the b.iCycle app and it will make all of the apps start dancing around.  Click the - minus sign and the app will stop multitasking (and subsequently stop using the GPS)

One other tid-bit of info that I will share...
I have found that if I fire up B.iCycle, clip my iPhone to my bike, and give it a little bit of time to lock onto the GPs signal, that it seems to work more reliably.  I used to fire it up hit start and ride off . . . I was annoyed that it would frequently loose signal.  
Now I start the app, mount it to the bike, then pack up the panniers, fill the H20 bottle and then ride off.  This extra time has made B.iCycle considerably more accurate.

Till Tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment